The First Assembly of God - Sav. GA

History of First Assembly 1966-Present

1966

The church name was changed to "First Assembly of God Temple" in 1966.  This was done at the Annual Business Meeting held on January 11, 1966 where they had sixty-four (64) active members on their roster.

1. Mrs. Aggie Alderman

2. Mrs. Frances Barber

3. Mrs. Mamie Blume

4. Henry Blume

5. John F. Bazzell

6. Mrs. Ruth Bazzell

7. Johnnie Bazzell

8. Mary B. Bunn

9. Mrs. Doris Ward Conner

10. Mrs Mary Henrietta Conner

11. Thomas Gibson Conner

12. Mrs. Betty Jean (Winders) Cribb

13. Nancy Cribb

14. Warren Henry Cribb

15. Lena M. Davis

16. Raymond Edward Denmark

17. Mrs. Pearl W. Denmark

18. Mrs. Alfreda G. Dozier

19. J. C. Dozier

20. Miss Esther Eason

21. Mrs. Frances Ferrell

22. Mrs. Alice Grovenstein

23. L. J. Kusic

24. Mrs. L. J. Kusic

25. Mrs. James V. Lathem

26. David L. Liggett

27. Mrs. Lena C. Liggett

28. Gene Murphy

29. Mrs. Shirley Murphy

 30. W. E. Murphy

31. Mrs. W. E. Murphy

32. Lewis W. Mobley, Jr.

33. Mrs. Sarah Frances (Driggers) Mobley 

34. C. L. McKenzie 

 35. Shirley Messex

36. Mrs. Mary B. O’Conner 

37. Mrs. Nellie Bly Ogilvie 

 38. Hilton Oliver

 39. Mrs. Carolyn Otto

40. Linnie F. Patton

 41. Brenda M. Potter

 42. Mrs. Carrie D. Riner

43. Alda Porter

44. Earlie Royal

45. Mrs. Evelyn Royal

46. Mr. J. F. Riggs

 47. Mrs. J. F. Riggs

48. Mrs. Gracie Speller 

49. Allen Souga

 50. Ed E. Strickland

51. John Strickland

52. Mrs. Edna Taggert 

53. Mrs. S. S. Tapley

 54. Mrs. Velma M. Thompson

 55. Arthur H. Turner

56. Mrs. Johnnie Mae Turner

57. Mrs. Frances Wynell Thornburg 

58. Mrs. Sadie Worth

 59. W. L. Worth

60. Mrs. Nellie Willis

61. Mrs. Grace Wiggins

62. James V. Lathem 

63. David Zeigler

64. Mrs. Bonnie Zeigler

This completes the list of active founding members of the First Assembly of God Temple as found in the ledger book containing the roster of the church at that time.

At some uncertain time a mural of the hands of God was painted behind the pulpit of the church on Whitaker Street.  These were a great source of inspiration to all those who attended services during that time.

 

 

1970

 June 19, 1970-present                      Rev. Cecil F. Gray, Sr.

Reverend Cecil F. Gray, Sr. assumed the pastorate on June 19, 1970.  He had pastured the First Assembly of God Church in Dublin, Georgia for eight years prior to coming to Savannah to accept that position.

 

 

 

1978

The church moved to present location at 1901 Pennsylvania Avenue. It met for several weeks in Shuman Junior High School Auditorium on Goebel Avenue until the new facility was remodeled.

 

 

August 30, 1979

After moving to their new location, the church was incorporated as the First Assembly of God Church of Savannah, Inc.

 

 

 

August 3, 1981

In 1981 it was decided to change the incorporation name of the church to the First Assembly of God Temple of Savannah, Inc.

 

 

2005

The new name for the church adopted in 2005 is "The First Assembly of God" with the incorporation name of "The First Assembly of God Savannah, Inc." 

 

 

 

2007

You can be sure there will be more information which develops as time passes and it will be added to this record.  For now, this is what we have available about the history of First Assembly of God.

 

2008

This is going to be a glorious year as October 10, 2008 will mark the Eightieth (80th) Anniversary of the First Assembly of God. How We have Been Blessed!!!

 

 


The Assemblies of God grew out of the Pentecostal revival, which began in the early 1900s in places such as Topeka, Kansas, and the Azusa Street Mission in Los Angeles. During times of prayer and Bible study, believers received spiritual experiences like those described in the book of Acts. Accompanied by “speaking in tongues,” their religious experiences were associated with the coming of the Holy Spirit on the Jewish feast of Pentecost (Acts 2), and participants in the movement were dubbed “Pentecostals.” The Pentecostal movement has grown from a handful of Bible school students in Topeka, Kansas, to an estimated 600 million in the world today.

Many participants who were baptized in the Holy Spirit during revivals and camp meetings in the early 1900s were not welcomed back to their former churches. These believers started many small churches throughout the country and communicated through publications that reported on the revivals. In 1913, a Pentecostal publication, the Word and Witness, called for the independent churches to band together for the purpose of fellowship and doctrinal unity. Other concerns for facilitating missionaries, chartering churches and forming a Bible training school were also on the agenda.  

Some 300 Pentecostals met at an opera house in Hot Springs, Arkansas, in 1914, and agreed to form a new fellowship of loosely knit independent churches. These churches were left with the needed autonomy to develop and govern their own local ministries, yet they were united in their message and efforts to reach the world for Christ. So began the General Council of the Assemblies of God.  

Assemblies of God churches form a cooperative fellowship. As a result, the organization operates from the grass roots, allowing the local church to choose and develop ministries and facilities best suited for its local needs.