Golden Gems Page
The Golden Gems
Our Senior Adults meet monthly on the 2nd Tuesday at 11AM
at the church where they have guest speakers and musicians.
Afterwards they have a meal and a time of fellowship.
On special holidays they may have a meal at a local restaurant.
Our Seniors Leader
Sister Hilda Carlson
Sister Hilda Carlson has a tremendous love and dedication to all the senior adults in the church and has certainly gone out of her way to care for them. We are delighted to have her accept the leadership role with all the various responsibilities to continue this great and needed program of our church. Let us all be ready to offer our assistance and support where we can.
Anyone over fifty-five is invited to attend,
and bring guests, too.
Ten Goals for Senior Adults
1. Admit you are a senior adult. In many cultures those over fifty are highly esteemed. Look for ways to honor those who are older than you, setting precedence for the younger generation.
2. Assess your past and prepare for the future. Consider how God has provided spiritually for you and determine now to begin or continue your relationship with Him.
3. Avail yourself of education regarding health issues. Many communities and medical centers provide free screenings and classes to keep you aware of symptoms and treatment before they become serious.
4. Accompany older senior adults to activities and doctors' visits. Your help is invaluable to them, and you will learn from their experiences how to enhance your own life as a senior.
5. Allow yourself to set new priorities and commitments. Determine what is important to you and approach these ideals with a renewed commitment of achievement.
6. Account for your financial status and goals. Examine your insurance policies, bank accounts, wills, and trusts and decide what you can do to enhance your finances for the future.
7. Attend activities provided by your church and community. Fellowship with others stimulates the mind and eliminates self-pity.
8. Approach others and encourage them to attend senior adult classes and activities. You will add to your circle of friends and benefit both you and them.
9. Analyze anxieties and give them to God. His assurance of care and peace allows you to mature spiritually.
10. Anticipate all God has for you as a senior adult and become aware of the blessing you can be to others.
The World's Graying Population
- There are 600 million people older than 60, a number that is projected to triple over the next 50 years to 2 billion.
- By 2050, the number of people older than 60 will exceed the number of children younger than 14 for the first time in history.
- The population of people older than 60 is growing by 2 percent each year, considerably faster than the general population.
- The fastest growing group is those 80 years or older. Now, one in 10 people are in the group; by the middle of the century, one in five will be in the category.
- In 2000, nearly twice as many women as men were older than 80 and nearly five times as many women as men were older than 100.
Senior Adult Resources
Renew Your Faith
Tired of the same old stuff? Make an effort to renew your relationship with God.
How do YOU pray?
Willing to reach out to students who need grandparents?
Stuck in the same old rut? Open your heart to change and see what God has for you.
What to Expect in a Nursing Home Atmosphere
Helpful advice before heading into the nursing homes to minister.